With the widespread use of computers in every field in the present scenario, users have been all over the internet in the search of various software, patches, updates etc. There was once a time when if we need to download some software say some game or software files, what we all need to do is to go to the particular site and shuffle through the files that we need and click the download button. However, increased digital competition has turned the things a little bit messy and freeware has now turned into a crap-ware.
Nowadays before downloading any software, one needs to be very careful prior to hitting the download button else, you never know when your machine would crash. Due to increased rivalry in the digital marketing, trustworthy sites have now turned into bogus one, various advertisement links take the users to fake links, and the user ends up downloading a bunch of the third party bundled software, which he did not ask for. Some trustworthy sites started getting a flood of traffic and various search engines provided a good ranking to those sites. In between these events, once trustworthy sites decided to en-cash this trust of users by providing space for fake links and advertisements and hence earned money.
Because of the above-stated reasons, nowadays, a free download is not a safe option but with some precaution, users can still download their favorite link from any websites.
All you need to do is to ask some basic questions from yourself which includes:
- Do you know and Trust the Developer: Before clicking blindly on download link check whether the website/link is trustworthy and is not taking you to the fake link. In case you know very well about the software as well as the developer then there’s nothing to worry,
- For downloading always prefer the official site of the software or link: As it always happens official site does not ever provide a fake or bad link. For example, in case you want to download any upgraded web browser for your machine, and then you must go to the official website of that browser. This way you can minimize the risk of danger that may arise from downloading it from elsewhere.
- Check for reviews: Before downloading any program or software, it is always beneficial to check for reviews. For checking the review of the website or program you can have a glance over them at the various social media.
- Keep your eyes open while installing the program: As you download the program or desired software, it isn’t necessary that it is the same. Even if the website is reliable, there may be add-on software that might hamper your system speed. Therefore don’t click blindly on NEXT button. Check carefully the installation process and unmark the undesired software bundled with the package.
- Use an Antivirus: Last but not least, no matter how many precautions you take while downloading software, you may never tell which software may harm your machine. Therefore it is always beneficial to have an antivirus which removes any unwanted programs or spyware from your machine.